Creating change through creativity
Here at 64 Million Artists, we are Creativity Champions seeking to spark the everyday creativity of everyone across the UK.
Since 2014, we've been working to change how people feel about creativity. Creativity can help us go beyond the limits of old and traditional thoughts and patterns and open us up to new things and positive changes in our lives and the world around us.
We do this by holding space for individuals and groups to explore their creativity through programmes, events, and our accessible and free year-round campaign for everyday creativity.
The things that matter most to us
We stay curious about everything we do - allowing us to take risks, fail and learn. Trying new things, exploring and expressing ourselves runs through all we do: how we work as individuals, as a team and our interactions with everyone we meet.
As a team, we know good working relationships need nurturing, and caring for the people around us often means difficult conversations, holding boundaries and being bold. We work to create and sustain meaningful connections with one another and focus on making a positive difference in every interaction we have.
We actively search for and acknowledge barriers to access. Everyone should feel a sense of belonging and community, and it’s a massive part of what drives our team. Whoever you are, wherever you are, you are welcome.
The 64 Million Artists community celebrates equality and inclusion. We are committed to understanding and overcoming barriers to access to include and celebrate people of all gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation or religion.
We recognise the systemic injustices that exist in our society and our own unconscious biases due to our privilege. We recognise that we have not always done enough to address this in our work. We strongly believe that action is the best way to show a commitment to our values. While we are constantly working on making our approach universally accessible, we are currently undertaking a series of actions in two key areas where we think we have the most work to do.
We are aware of the systemic injustices that exist towards Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic groups in UK society and globally. As such, we have recently re-committed to proactive steps to learn, grow and take action as a company:
- Expanding our pool of freelancers and associates to include more people of colour
- Ensuring that as we appoint our first Board of Directors, it includes people of colour
- Build on our learning around anti-racist recruitment practices to ensure any new positions are advertised broadly and applications structured to combat the unconscious bias that we know exists in all of us
- All staff to undergo regular training around anti-racism, unconscious bias and accessibility practices
- Only work with clients that adhere to our values around anti-racism
- Ensure that people of colour are always paid fairly and appropriately
- To amplify Black and Minority Ethnic voices through our public-facing programmes and always pay for their time
Access and Disability
We are also proactively working with and listening to d/Disabled artists and participants to develop best practices around recruitment and access to programmes. To this end, we are committed to:
- Improving accessibility on our website over the next 6-12 months.
- Proactively working with and listening to disabled artists and audiences
- To amplify d/Disabled voices through our public-facing programmes and paying for their time
- Continuing to improve access to recruitment processes
- To ensure that people with both visible and invisible disabilities have representation on our staff, board and associate pool
Over the next five years, we expect to grow as a company and will continue to build on these actions to ensure our company staff, board and associates, partners, and participants are more fully representative of the 64 Million (plus population growth) people in this country.
If you have any questions or further thoughts on how to develop or support our actions, please get in touch at [email protected].
Founder & CEO
Head of Public Programmes
Head of Leadership Programmes
Co-Director of tialt
tialt research associate
Leadership Facilitator & Coach
Co-Director of tialt
tialt visual researcher
Facilitator & Podcast Host